How to line dry clothes during the rainy season
11 tips for line drying laundry all year round. AKA how to do laundry without a dryer!
We’ve been dryer-free for about 8 years & have learned a few tips along the way. Check these out to learn how to keep line drying even when you’ve got rainy days.
- Choose faster-drying clothes like wool or linen or thin cotton over thick cotton sweatshirts. Synthetics of course dry faster but have their own issues.
- Get a side-loading washing machine – it spins more water out than top loading machines.
- Check the weather! Find that day with no rain or snow & get some loads going!
- Use clips so all your stuff is hanging straight down (no folded over laundry.
- Find the sunniest spot in your yard. If you’re in the northern hemisphere – it’s a south-facing area. Put your line up there.
- Follow that sun. We use portable drying racks & move them into the sun as the sun moves around our little yard during the day.
- Use an overhang or the garage at the end of the day to get things fully dry.
- Bring it inside. If it doesn’t get all the way dry outside, bring those racks indoors into a warmer spot. Usually an overnight is all they’ll need to be fully dry.
- Start inside. If outdoors is crazy weather & you’ve got to get some laundry done, do a small enough load that you can hang it indoors on a portable rack (or two or three).
- Use your doors. When larger things like sheets or blankets did quite finish drying outside, we’ll bring them indoors & hang them from a door in the house – like a closet door or hallway door. Again, an overnight on the door is usually enough.
- Get an extra set of sheets. Drying really big things like sheets is harder to do in the rain & snow. Get a second set of sheets so you can wait for a dry spell to wash those larger items.
Do you have any tips to add? Leave a comment below!
Thanks for reading!
Liz @ No Trace
[boldgrid_component type=”wp_ninja_forms_widget” opts=”%7B%22widget-ninja_forms_widget%5B%5D%5Bdisplay_title%5D%22%3A0%2C%22widget-ninja_forms_widget%5B%5D%5Bform_id%5D%22%3A%22103%22%7D”]